School Policies & General Rules
Retrieving Forgotten Items After School
Our custodians are on a tight schedule to get all of the classrooms cleaned after school, but they are frequently asked to open classrooms after school hours. The District has given a directive that the custodians are not to open doors for students who have forgotten items since the time spent waiting for children to retrieve lost items takes away from their ability to clean the rooms thoroughly and efficiently. Please remind your students that they are responsible for remembering backpacks, homework, and other personal belongings.
Use of Cell Phones
Children may not make telephone calls, or receive them, during the school day. Should there be an urgent message that must get to your child, the school secretary will ensure this is delivered. Students with cell phones turned on during school hours (whether in use or not) will have phones confiscated by the teacher for return at the end of the day.
School Dress Code
The responsibility for the dress and grooming of a student rests primarily with the student and his or her parents.
- We encourage students to wear clothing that is safe, comfortable, clean, and appropriate for school related activities. Student clothing must not disrupt the education or be disrespectful of any student or staff member.
- Clothing must cover undergarments.
- Sport or tennis shoes are most appropriate for running and playing during recess and P.E. All shoes should have closed toes and a back strap.
- Hats may be worn outdoors only. Hats with bills (such as baseball caps) should be facing forward to shade the eyes from the sun.
Behavior and Discipline Policy
At Blossom Hill, we emphasize Character Education and expect students to model these traits while in class, on the playground, and whenever interacting with other students and/or adults. Good citizenship and character are life skills that all students need to learn and model.
Blossom Hill Rules for Respect
- Be respectful to ALL.
- Use appropriate language.
- No put down, name calling, or teasing.
- Keep hands and feet to yourself.
- Play fairly – follow game rules.
Safety & Behavior Rules
For safety concerns, the following are not allowed at our school:
- Running on blacktop
- Playing in restrooms
- Playing behind fences, buildings, and bushes
- Rough and dangerous games
- Throwing objects that might hurt others
- Hitting or hurting another person
- Using bad language or name calling
- Bullying, teasing, or threats
- Food on play structures or around organized games
- Chewing gum
- Soda cans and bottles
- Toys, personal sports equipment and/or electronics
- Cell phone use during school hours
- Riding bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, etc. on campus
- Leaving the lunch area without permission
- Playing with school or home PE equipment after school (balls, hula hoops, ropes, etc.).
- Students must always be accompanied by an adult escort in the parking lot
All students are expected to comply with the following rules while on the playground:
- I will listen to adult supervisors.
- I will tell a yard duty if someone is hurt, has a problem, or needs help.
- I will get a playground pass to go to the office.
- I will use all playground equipment correctly.
- I will include anyone who wants to participate in games or activities.
- I will play ball games only in painted courts.
- I will follow the rules to organized games.
- I will play fairly, safely, and show good sportsmanship.
- All kindergarten students should remain within the kindergarten yard.
Consequences for not adhering to safety and/or playground rules are as follows:
- Student will discuss infraction with an adult.
- Student will be benched or given a time out.
- The yard duty will inform classroom teacher of student’s behavior.
- Student will be sent to the principal.
- Parent will be called or notified for serious conduct/safety issues.